Contact Us

Fill out the form below and a response or call back will be made within 24 hours.


E-mail Address:


If emergency is present, check box:

Anti-Spam Question:


Fiancée Visas

Marriage is one of the most delightful ways to become an American citizen. Under the conditions of the Immigration and Nationality Act, a United States citizen can sponsor his or her spouse-to-be for a non-immigrant visa, commonly called a fiancée visa.

As a non-immigrant visa, the fiancée visa allows travel to and short term residence in the United States for a specific purpose, in this case to get married. Once married, the spouse can petition for a change in status and eventually become a legal citizen of the United States.

The K-1 Visa: The Fiancée Visa in Detail

When a United States citizen plans to marry a foreign national, the citizen can petition for a K-1 visa, often called a fiancée visa. The form used to make this petition is the I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancée, which must be filed with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. If the petition is granted, the fiancée must apply for a K-1 visa at a US embassy or consulate in their home country.

Once the paperwork is approved, the fiancée visa allows the foreign national to travel to the United States and arrange the details of the marriage to the sponsor. The United States citizen and the foreign national have 90 days to get married. If the marriage does not take place, the foreign national must leave the country.

Children of the fiancée who are unmarried and under the age of 21 may be able to obtain a K-2 visa. This special fiancée visa allows children to come to the United States and live with their family.

Citizenship through Marriage

The K-1 visa/fiancée visa is only the first step on the path to becoming a United States citizen by marriage. Normally this process of changing immigration status is straight-forward. However, exceptions and special circumstances can make attaining citizenship more time-consuming or more difficult, even for the spouse of a legal resident.

Please contact the law offices of XXX. We are citizenship and naturalization lawyers who are well-versed in the process of citizenship through marriage. Our immigration lawyers can help you or your spouse become an American citizen. We have the experience to handle all facets of immigration law, including citizenship through marriage, citizenship for family members and K-2 visas for children.

Call today and discuss your situation with an experienced YYY citizenship and naturalization attorney. We can help you and your fiancée fill out paperwork properly, file forms with the correct agencies and discuss the best plan to unite you and your spouse-to-be as American citizens.

California Fiancée Immigration Attorney Disclaimer: The immigration, naturalization, family based immigration, or other legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth herein are based upon the facts of that particular case and do not represent a promise or guarantee. Please contact a California Immigration Lawyer or Naturalization Attorney for a consultation on your particular immigration matter.

© 2009 All rights reserved. Immigration Lawyer - Fiancée Visa Attorneys representing clients Nationwide and Internationally.

Internet Marketing by: SLS Consulting l Sitemap